Pink Fire Pointer That Debacle, The Official Statements

That Debacle, The Official Statements

David Haye Official Statement (Re: Munich)

"It is with regret that I feel I have to issue this statement to clarify certain matters, following an unfortunate incident that occurred on Saturday night (February 18) in Munich, Germany at the Vitali Klitschko vs. Dereck Chisora post-fight press conference.

I was in Munich to watch the WBC world heavyweight title bout between Klitschko and Chisora and provide punditry for BoxNation, and accredited as such.

During the post-fight press conference, I was stood at the back of the room. It wasn't until Bernd Bonte said my name and involved me in the press conference that I commented. I was then happy to banter back and forth with Bonte and Klitschko, keen to ascertain whether he (Vitali) would stay true to his word and reiterate his desire to do what his younger brother couldn't do - knock me out. I felt as though the public would want to hear more information about this potential bout and that we could both start beating the drum ahead of a showdown later this year.

However, at this point Chisora began firing insults at me from his position on the top table. In fact, he has recently made a habit of saying derogatory things about me in the press.

Moments before declaring he wanted to go face-to-face with me, Chisora assured the gathered media that he would give me 'two slaps'. Chisora had, of course, already been shrouded in controversy that weekend.

Despite this, Chisora climbed down from the top table, removed his robe and then walked towards me, entourage in tow, in an aggressive manner. I held my ground, but, unfortunately, he caused a serious disturbance to occur, something which threatened to damage the reputation of the sport we both love. Regrettably, some members of his entourage also encouraged the chaos.

Nevertheless, Chisora and I soon separated, brushed ourselves down and moved in opposite directions. 

The confrontation then reignited, however, and both Don Charles and Adam Booth became involved in the mess. Adam suffered a cut to the head. 

Thankfully, it didn't take long for the ruckus to again settle down. It was then that I heard Chisora say he planned to 'shoot me dead'. 

I decided to leave the venue and return to my hotel, a move which I hoped would diffuse the situation. However, Chisora's team were staying at the same hotel as me and, in light of the threats Chisora had made in front of the world's media, it seemed far more appropriate for me and Adam to leave the hotel as quickly as possible. 

Consequently, I left Munich on an earlier flight on Sunday morning and have been thinking about what happened ever since, as well as replaying the incident many times via YouTube. It goes without saying, I am bitterly disappointed to have been a part of what transpired on Saturday evening. 

I realise I am no angel - and don't mind a bit of professional trash-talk to help raise boxing's profile - but, during my 21 years in the sport, I have never been involved in, or even witnessed, such a serious fracas. If requested, I shall happily assist the boxing authorities with any investigation they wish to launch and, ultimately, hope that all lessons learned from this incident will be implemented.

I also hope Dereck Chisora is able to learn from his mistakes this past weekend, right the wrongs and then go on to fulfil his potential in the boxing ring."


Official Statement From Derek Chisora



"Following the extensive media coverage that my WBC World Heavyweight title challenge against Vitali Klitschko in Munich at the weekend has attracted, I feel I must wholeheartedly apologise for my part in the regretable scenes both before and after what was to be the biggest night of my career.

Whilst my behaviour was inexcusable, there were many things that went on behind the scenes that ultimately caused my frustrations to boil over, however this is of course no excuse. I cannot go into the specific details at the moment as quite rightly the British Boxing Board of Control will be investigating this matter and also the altercation that took place between David Haye and myself where I was struck by a bottle.

Despite all of this, the bottom line is, I have let my family, my team and worst of all the sport I love down. I acknowledge that my actions were totally unprofessional, with or without provocation. Now, with a cool head and the benefit of hindsight, my actions at the weekend were regretable to say the least and I am deeply embarrassed at the scenes reported in the media.

I acknowledge that I have a duty as a professional boxer to conduct myself properly at all times, especially with boxing being a sport of controlled aggression. I have let lots of people down on Saturday night, including myself, and for that I am truly sorry.

In Munich I fully cooperated with the German authorities and as a result I was released without charge.

I will be making no further comment at this stage and will wait for any formal hearing to take place."



I can't see either of them getting banned, the potential money to be made is just too great. I'm not saying that's right, I'm just saying that in boxing, that's just how it goes. 


Remember this dude carrying on after several lay offs?




If you haven't seen the Tyson documentary, which is on Netflix streaming here in the UK, then do yourself a favour and watch it.



As for Haye and Chisora, the media circus will die down after a few weeks, raise up again as the results of any investigations come to light, they'll be fined, have some minor sanctions imposed and then the grotesque business of deciding boxing champions by contract rather than absolute merit will continue ad nauseum.


Thank Christ for the UFC.



All of that said, I like David Haye. He's a quality fighter, hasn't gone down the traditional route for British boxers (Frank Warren) and has done very well. Shame the Wlad Klitschko build up and fight went the way it did but, I can't help but like him. He's made some stupid comments, Saturday night went full retard but I reckon he's still the only one out there at the minute that could take either of the Klitschkos out. The Heavyweight division is crap at the moment and Haye, if he was sensible and not act so arrogant, he could change it all by making it more about skill than bulk.